Publication:
Los Santos Coronados y la "cofradía Nuestra Señora de los Gozos y Santos Architectos" de la Ciudad de México en el siglo XVIII

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Publication date
2020
Reading date
Event date
Start date of the public exhibition period
End date of the public exhibition period
Advisors
Authors of photography
Person who provides the photography
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
Enredars
Export
Research Projects
Organizational Units
Journal Issue
Abstract
Durante el siglo XVIII surgió en México una reorganización de los gremios de artesanos, lo que provocó que sus propias cofradías se modificaran. Uno de esos gremios fue el de los albañiles, cuyo origen se remontaba a los finales del siglo XVI y cuyas Ordenanzas fueron expedidas el año de 1599. De esa época no se conoce ningún registro de cofradía alguna; sería hasta el año de 1657 cuando se tiene noticia de la fundación de la cofradía de la Santa Cruz en la capilla de Nuestra Señora de la Soledad de la Catedral de México. Sin embargo, para el siglo XVIII, en pleno desarrollo de la cultura barroca, los albañiles tomaron conciencia de la liberalidad de su arte y de la nobleza del arte de arquitectura, por lo que en la Ciudad de México se fundó otra cofradía que agrupaba arquitectos y canteros, cuya advocación sería la de Nuestra Señora de los Gozos y Santos Architectos. La información que se posee hasta ahora de esa cofradía es muy escasa, apenas una patente y dos documentos que hacen referencia a ella. Por otra parte, conocemos una pintura atribuida al taller de Miguel Cabrera, hoy en el Museo de Arte de Davenport, Estados Unidos, que representa a los Santos Coronados quienes, según la leyenda recogida por Santiago de la Vorágine, eran cinco escultores sacrificados en el siglo III por el emperador Diocleciano, al negarse a realizar una escultura de Esculapio. Estos escultores, con el nombre genérico de los Cuatro Santos Coronados, se convirtieron en patronos de los masones durante la época medieval. La hipótesis que planteo en este estudio es que los Santos Architectos de la cofradía de la Ciudad de México, pudieron haber sido precisamente los Santos Coronados.
During the 18th century, a reorganization of the guilds of artisans emerged in Mexico, which caused their own guilds to change. One of these guilds was that of the bricklayers, whose origin dates back to the late 16th century and whose Ordinances They were issued in 1599. At that time, no record of any guild was known. It is not until 1657 when there are news about the founding of the Brotherhood of the Holy Cross in the Chapel of Our Lady of the Solitude of the Cathedral of Mexico. However, in the 18th century, during the very peak of the Baroque culture, the bricklayers became aware of the liberality of their art and the nobility of the art of architecture, so that in Mexico City was founded another brotherhood that grouped architects and stonemasons, that would take the name of Nuestra Señora de los Gozos y Santos Architectos. The information so far possessed of this brotherhood is very scarce, barely a patent and two documents that refer to it. On the other hand, we know a painting attributed to the workshop of Miguel Cabrera, today in the Museum of Art of Davenport, United States, that represents the Crowned Saints who, according to the legend collected by Santiago de la Vorágine, were five sculptors sacrificed in the 3rd century by the emperor Diocletian for refusing to make a sculpture of Aesculapius. These sculptors, with the generic name of the Four Crowned Saints, became patrons of the Freemasons during the Medieval Edge. The hypothesis raised in this study is that the Saint Architects of the Brotherhood of Mexico City could have been precisely the Crowned Saints.
Doctoral program
Related publication
Research projects
Description
Bibliographic reference
Photography rights