Publication:
La sillería de coro del monasterio de Madre de Dios de Sanlúcar de Barrameda (Cádiz). Proceso constructivo y análisis formal e iconográfico (1751-1752/1755-1757).

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Publication date
2022-12-21
Reading date
Event date
Start date of the public exhibition period
End date of the public exhibition period
Advisors
Authors of photography
Person who provides the photography
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
Universidad Pablo de Olavide
Export
Research Projects
Organizational Units
Journal Issue
Abstract
La sillería de coro del monasterio de dominicas de Madre de Dios de Sanlúcar de Barrameda (Cádiz) resulta una interesante obra barroca apenas conocida. En este artículo, se documenta su proceso constructivo a mediados del siglo XVIII por su tracista Agustín de Medina y Flores, y los ensambladores y escultores Andrés Benítez y Pedro Asencio, entre otros, materiales y coste, y su patrocinadora, la monja Margarita de Ntro. Padre Santo Domingo y Lila, que la sufragó con la herencia y rentas de su familia, los Vint y Lila, afincados en Cádiz. Esta obra formó parte de un amplio programa de renovación barroca que la profesa efectuó sobre el viejo edificio medieval y renacentista, costeado por los fundadores y patrones del monasterio, los duques de Medina Sidonia. Además, se analizan formal e iconográficamente sus 47 sitiales.
The choir stalls of the Dominican monastery of Mother of God in Sanlúcar de Barrameda (Cadiz) is an interesting Baroque work that is not widely known. Its construction process in the middle of the 18th century was documented by its designer Agustín de Medina y Flores, including information the assemblers and sculptors Andrés Benítez and Pedro Asencio, among others, materials and cost, and its sponsor, Sister Margarita de Ntro. Padre Santo Domingo y Lila. She financed the project using her inheritance and family’s income, the Vint y Lila family, who lived in Cádiz. It was part of a larger program of baroque renovation on the old medieval and Renaissance building, headed by the nun and paid for by the founders and patrons of the monastery, the Dukes of Medina Sidonia. This research paper presents a formal analysis of the iconographically of its 47 seats.
Doctoral program
Related publication
Research projects
Description
Bibliographic reference
Atrio. Revista de Historia del Arte, ISSN 0214-8293, ISSN-e 2659-5230, Nº. 28, 2022, págs. 120-142.
Photography rights